[Bf-cycles] Micropolygon implementation

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Sat Jan 4 06:26:21 CET 2014

On 4 January 2014 11:57, Nathan Vegdahl <cessen at cessen.com> wrote:

> Regarding Monsters 2: I'm probably being needlessly pedantic here, but
> isn't RenderMan's raytracing still based on on-the-fly tesselation into
> micropolygon grids (using a geometry cache iirc)?  Maybe that doesn't
> technically count as micropolygon rendering, but I still think of it as
> being strongly related.  It's sort of best-of-both-worlds: you get proper
> higher-order surfaces and displacements, and you also get ray traced global
> illumination.

It's also ridiculously slow, so in practice you get nothing at all, hence
the full pathtracing mode coming in prman 19. For many (most?) types of
production scenes these days a modern raytracer beats the pants off
renderman's GI, and the set of those scenes is growing, not shrinking as
time goes by.