[Bf-cycles] Could we do this with Cycles ?

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Fri Feb 28 16:02:48 CET 2014

On Feb 28, 2014 3:45 PM, "Dr. Antoine Cottin" <a.cottin at carbomap.com> wrote:
> > There's two things I can see missing in Cycles here: support for this
> > light type and the ability to extract the distance. Cycles also only
> > does path tracing, nothing bidirectional. Maybe that's not enough for
> > you, I'm not sure.
> I'm kind of confuse how the distance is not extracted.
> it probably computed somewhere (during intersection computation), no, or
at least the intersection coordinates ?...

It's easily accessible in the shader (Light Path node), and in the source
code as well, it's stored in ShaderData. What I was referring to is writing
it out to a render pass. But maybe that's not even relevant to you, I don't
know how you want to write out data.