[Bf-cycles] Could we do this with Cycles ?

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Thu Feb 27 01:55:29 CET 2014

Hi Antoine,

If you want to modify the source code locally to do this, then it may
be relatively simple. If you want this to be accepted in an official
Cycles release, it's more complicated because it has to align with our
goals, I would only add functionality like this if it also benefits
rendering to create "pretty images" basically. It may be that this
fits but I don't fully understand what is needed here.

There's two things I can see missing in Cycles here: support for this
light type and the ability to extract the distance. Cycles also only
does path tracing, nothing bidirectional. Maybe that's not enough for
you, I'm not sure.

For the light beam you'd have to implement a new light type. If you
search the source code for "spot" for example you should find all
places where a spot lamp is used, and you could copy that code and
modify it add support for your new light type. Lights need to
implement an "eval" and "sample" function, one used for evaluation
after BSDF direction sampling and the other for sampling a point on
the light. If this is a perfect laser I think you only need to
implement "sample" because the probability of sampling the BSDF in the
right direction would be zero.

For extracting the distance, is that a kind of render pass or is it
written out in some other way? If it is a render pass you could
implement your own render pass type to store this distance, again
looking at some existing render pass and copying the code. We don't
currently support custom render passes, if we did perhaps it could
have been done with shader nodes or an OSL shader.

But I'm not sure if you expect the output to actually be RGBA +
distance render passes. If instead you need to send some number of
rays from the light and then somehow dump them to a file, then you
need to do bigger changes.

Brecht.