[Bf-cycles] Clamping just secondary rays

Marco G digitalbath86 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 10 19:01:36 CET 2014

Nice Thomas!Once last bits are solved, mind sharing a build on BA if you can? To widely test it.
Regards.MG

Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:59:36 +0100
From: blender at dingto.org
To: bf-cycles at blender.org
Subject: Re: [Bf-cycles] Clamping just secondary rays

    I gave it a try, patch and example
      images here: https://developer.blender.org/D303

      Thomas

      Am 09.02.2014 18:06, schrieb Marco G:

      That could be even better and more flexible. IMHO
        this could also help hair rendering with Hair BSDF potentially,
        since it involves reflections, it gives fireflies quite
          easily, thus having this indirect clamping could preserve
        hairs direct highlights and get rid of bright pixels from
          indirect.

        One of the most fireflies-prone setup is tiny radius
          spot-point lights lighting sharp glossy.
        I've made a super simple scene (in the link) showing this,
          using MIS and/or filter glossy doesn't help,
        the only thing helping is clamp but then we loose the whole
          tone range.

        Link to the scene - http://www.pasteall.org/blend/26752

        Thanks. MG

          > From: brechtvanlommel at pandora.be

            > Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 17:03:46 +0100

            > To: bf-cycles at blender.org

            > Subject: Re: [Bf-cycles] Clamping just secondary rays

            > Yes, I can see that would be useful. We could split up
            the clamp

            > option in direct and indirect parts so you can still
            clamp direct as

            <digitalbath86 at hotmail.com> wrote:

            > > Hi all,

            > > i was wondering if current clamp option is
            affecting every ray (also direct

            > > ones), and maybe it could be made to affect just
            secondary rays to clamp

            > > fireflies from glossy bounces etc, while
            preserving direct

            > > highlights/reflections on shiny objects. Makes
            sense?