[Bf-cycles] Optimization project

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Mon Feb 10 14:13:56 CET 2014

It depends on what you mean exactly by this penalty. For Cycles the
path tracer and branched path tracer work different. In the former
cases it will pick one of the layers at random for each AA sample, in
the latter case it will do all layers for each AA sample. So for the
branched path tracer there is a higher cost but also less noise per AA
sample.

So it's not clear to me if you are talking about total render time to
achieve some level of noise, or time per AA sample. If Arnold only
gives a slight speed hit but more noise then I guess it does what we
do in the non-branched path tracer. There's some tradeoffs between the
two ways.

It may be something else in the importance sampling that needs work if
it's more about noise / render time.