[Bf-cycles] Optimization project

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Wed Feb 5 18:20:18 CET 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 5:32 PM, Matthew Heimlich
<matt.heimlich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some great optimization ideas on that list! Good to see focus being
> put into CPU optimization.
>
> Another idea depends on subdivision happening on the Cycles side of
> things. Not sure if that's in the near future or not. However, other
> renderers have had success with using a method wherein objects aren't
> subdivided until first ray hit. It probably wouldn't ever be easy to
> port to the GPU, but could be very helpful in certain heavy scenes.
> Just a thought.

Yes, this would be useful. I wouldn't consider it an immediate
priority. I'd love to see the displacement/subdivision workflow
improved a lot and optimized, but at the moment I think the main
performance bottleneck for something like Gooseberry is the ray
tracing itself, not doing subdivision surfaces.

Probably we should first try to do multithreaded scene export from
Blender before tackling this, it's only using one core now so there's
still a big speedup possible there with less effort.