[Bf-cycles] Optimization project

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Wed Feb 5 17:02:11 CET 2014

Hi all,

With Gooseberry coming up, it would be good to start focusing on (CPU)
optimization for the next few release cycles. For new features I still
plan to finish volume rendering and add deformation motion blur soon,
but besides that a more organized optimization project is something
I'd like to spend time on.

See this wiki page for more details:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.6/Source/Render/Cycles/Optimization

There's already great work being done by Sv. Lockal and others in this
area, on the low level optimization front, but there's many more
opportunities. I'll try to add more detail and ideas over time, this
is just what I could think of off the top of my head.

You can help out in various ways:
* Contribute code to implement optimizations
* Help gathering of test scenes representative of Gooseberry shots
* Suggest practical optimizations ideas

It would also be cool if someone could set up some webpage with a
graph that tracks Cycles performance on test scenes over time, maybe
doing a render with the latest Git version once a week or so (like
http://arewefastyet.com/).

Thanks,