[Bf-cycles] CUDA Toolkit 6.5 and Volume on GPU

David Fenner d4vidfenner at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 16:06:09 CEST 2014

Ok, done some further testing and the thing that really kills gpu
performance are textures in volumes. With no textures gtx Titan is about 3
times faster than a 6-core overclocked ivy bridge, even with volume scatter
and lots of bounces. However when textures are introduced, amazingly cpu
gets about 1.5 times faster than gpu. That means that texturing volumes
cripples gpu performance by about 4 times.  Still, non textured volumes are
actually flying on the gpu (even though its only distance sampling) and are
totally worth it for now.