[Bf-cycles] How to mitigate Cycles final render buffer split tiles feature?

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sat Sep 14 14:38:25 CEST 2013

Hi,

It's certainly possible to implement something like this, when you do
a viewport render it will also use a single big buffer but still
render in tiles.

I attached a patch that quickly hacks this in, it needs to have
progressive refine enabled to work though, and only works for the CPU.
Also in principle, if threads are going to work on the same buffer
they need to use atomic operations to add floats together. You
wouldn't notice it much in practice if this is not thread safe,
because you wouldn't end up at the same pixels often.

For GPU (or network render), I guess we'd need to merge together the
render buffers. Accessing the render buffer over PCIE would be slow
because you'd have to read the value, add, and write it back, and PCIE
has a long latency. I guess it could stream samples to the CPU
somehow, either way some function needs to merge it all together. The
choice between using a list of samples or a single buffer is then
mostly a choice of how you store things in memory to submit to some
function, one is more memory efficient for large resolution renders,
and the other is easier to implement.

Brecht.