[Bf-cycles] max render size?

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Mon Oct 28 20:20:02 CET 2013

I can't immediately think of a limit that would make this render fail,
except for the amount of memory on your CPU being too low. It worked
for me on the CPU but I didn't look into it on the GPU yet. Some tips:

* Do not render with progressive refine in case you had it enabled.
* Use "Save Buffers" option in the performance panel.
* Disable the Z pass.
* Make sure you have enough swap space on your system.

Brecht.

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM, Jordan Miller <jrdnmlr at gmail.com> wrote:
> naw, the rendered area is the proper size, I just get all black pixels
> outside there. if I go down to 30000x2000 pixels it works fine and all
> pixels render.
>
> I want to render 60000x4000. how can I find out blender's hard limit
> in image pixel dimensions?
>
> yes this is for some wall art for an installation so I need a lot of
> pixels, people will be up close to it. will be printing a large poster
> at 300 dpi. right now I could only print the image at 150 dpi since I
> am limited to 30000 pixels and I want it to be around 15' across.
>
> so 60000 would let me print at 300 dpi no prob. if blender can output
> a file that large (which it is) I just don't understand why all the
> pixels wouldn't be rendered.
>
> jordan
>

> On Oct 25, 2013, at 2:23 PM, "E. David Ferriman" <dferriman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> To be clear, you want to print out an image that's 200"x13.3"? It's most
>> likely rendering just the central third due to the odd size (in other
>> words, you're only ASKING for the central 3rd). To get the right pixels,
>> multiply the inches you want by the ppi you want. If the camera frame is
>> 1920x1080 that's 6.4"x3.6" (1920px/300ppiX1080px/300ppi). So, from there
>> make sure your inches match. Ex:
>>
>> 6.4"x3.6" * 10 = 16.4"x13.6" * 300ppi = 4,920pxX4,080px
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> On 10/25/2013 1:16 PM, Jordan Miller wrote:
>>> Hi-- so I have a simple scene that I want to render at high res for
>>> making a professional quality poster people will be close to examine.
>>> I would like to render 60,000 pixels x 4,000 pixels.
>>>
>>> my computer can handle it fine in cycles with GPU Compute (quad i7
>>> with 2 GTX 770s and 32GB cpu RAM). but the image is cut off (only the
>>> central third of the camera view is rendered). Does blender have new
>>> hard limits of 20000 pixel image size? I can't go larger than that and
>>> have every pixel render.
>>>
>>> please advise if there is a way to do this.
>>>
>>> thanks!!
>>> jordan