[Bf-cycles] Enable CPU for cpu only features + GPU for gpu accelerated features at the same time.

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Mon Mar 25 06:19:33 CET 2013

The only CPU only features atm are OSL and the Non-Progressive integrator.
Hair is still in an experimental state (clearly communicated within the
UI), having this work on the GPU is just a matter of some code time by
the developers.

@Nazim: No one said that SSS and Volume won't work on the GPU, this is
pure speculation at this point.
There are no plans for hybrid rendering as far as I know and that would
also come with its own challenges.

Long story short, give Brecht and others time to finish the major
features, then we can see if we need to make design changes.

Regards,
Thomas

Am 25.03.2013 00:00, schrieb Adriano Oliveira:
> I'm worried about CPU and GPU features getting away from each other in
> Cycles.
> I understand that for an open source render, the CUDA only solution
> (like Octane) is not ideal, but tons of Cycle's users are investing in
> GPU now (like myself).
>
> The way to go is an hybrid solution, like iRay and Arion.
>
> Adriano A. Oliveira
>

> 2013/3/24 Nazim Mer <nazim.mer at gmail.com <mailto:nazim.mer at gmail.com>>
>
>     Hello blenderheads/developers,
>     Since features such as the new SSS, hair rendering and volume
>     rendering in cycles aren't gonna work with GPUs(CUDA-enabled
>     ones)-correct me if i'm wrong.
>     Would there be a possibility of enabling the CPU for cpu only
>     features + GPU for gpu accelerated features at the same time.

>     Not related to blender cycles:
>     is there anyone that can create documentation on the wiki for
>     optimizing blender.
>     There could be a wiki page for optimizing blender at compile time
>     i.e. during the compilation stage of blender for those who'd like
>     to compile blender SVN
>     this page for instance would declare where to put the optization
>     flags for each platform i.e. freeBSD,Linux, osX, and windows
>     as well as
>     standard compilation of blender at compile time
>     Medium optimizations for blender at compile time
>     Then extreme optimizations for blender at compile time
>

>     And then another page that aims to document optimizations whilst
>     working inside blender i.e. tile sizes, textures sizes, baking etc

Thomas Dinges
Blender Developer, Artist and Musician

www.dingto.org