[Bf-cycles] nvidia module crashes on linux 64bit with 2.66a

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Wed Mar 13 07:45:13 CET 2013

Hi,
I don't think that it is a Cycles error, otherwise we would have already
received several bug reports. The fact that it shuts down *after*
rendering is finished is also strange, Cycles should not utilise the GPU
anymore after rendering is done.

1)  310.32 is not up to date anymore, try the recent 313 or 314 beta driver.
2) Bug reports usually go to our bug tracker and not to the mailing
list: http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?atid=498&group_id=9&func=browse
3) Does it happen with all scenes? (also the default cube) or only with
a specific file?

Best regards,
Thomas

Am 12.03.2013 23:32, schrieb Dimosthenis Kaponis:
> Hello all,
>
> I just upgraded blender (64bit) to 2.66a and I am experiencing nvidia
> kernel module crashes (that lead to a system crash) when I am using GPU
> Compute in Cycles.
>
> There have been no other changes to the machine, hardware or software
> and the card does not misbehave in linux or Windows 7. It also did not
> misbehave at all in my previous 2.65 install.
>
> I am suspecting something in Cycles has changed and might be triggering
> a bug in the nvidia module that leads to a crash. Note that whenever the
> crash occurs it happens not while Cycles is rendering but a few seconds
> after it finishes.
>
> The card is an Asus Nvidia GeForce 2GB GTX 680 DirectCU II OC. I have
> tried several versions of the nvidia proprietary driver up to 310.32.
>
> Any advice is welcome (and if it proves that Cycles is, indeed, causing
> this, I hope my mention helps expedite the fix).
>

> Best,
>
> Dimosthenis.

Thomas Dinges
Blender Developer, Artist and Musician