[Bf-cycles] nvidia module crashes on linux 64bit with 2.66a

Dimosthenis Kaponis cosm7x at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 12 23:32:18 CET 2013

Hello all,

I just upgraded blender (64bit) to 2.66a and I am experiencing nvidia
kernel module crashes (that lead to a system crash) when I am using GPU
Compute in Cycles.

There have been no other changes to the machine, hardware or software
and the card does not misbehave in linux or Windows 7. It also did not
misbehave at all in my previous 2.65 install.

I am suspecting something in Cycles has changed and might be triggering
a bug in the nvidia module that leads to a crash. Note that whenever the
crash occurs it happens not while Cycles is rendering but a few seconds
after it finishes.

The card is an Asus Nvidia GeForce 2GB GTX 680 DirectCU II OC. I have
tried several versions of the nvidia proprietary driver up to 310.32.

Any advice is welcome (and if it proves that Cycles is, indeed, causing
this, I hope my mention helps expedite the fix).

Best,

Dimosthenis.