[Bf-cycles] Raytraced subsurface scattering

Matthew Heimlich matt.heimlich at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 01:07:05 CET 2013

Brecht,

I was listening to the podcast and heard you mention that you had
already chosen and begun to implement a SSS shader using brute force
raytraced scattering. I'd appreciate if you could link me to the paper
in question, as I haven't been able to find a good paper on raytraced
SSS anywhere.

Additionally, I'm wondering if there are plans to add a dedicated
"skin" shader allowing for in-built support for three-layer scattering
with separate inputs for surface, dermis, and epidermis
colors/scales/weights/etc. These settings are incredibly useful for
character lookdev and save a lot of time in other raytraced renderers
with SSS implemented.

Thanks,

Matt Heimlich