[Bf-cycles] Antialiasing overbright areas in Cycles

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Mar 3 15:24:16 CET 2013

Hi,

There's a very practical reason why you cannot anti-alias it.

You perceive aliasing *only* after putting it on a clamped display. If your screen would show values > 1.0 anti-aliasing would work. :)

So the proper way to antialias is to first clamp colors of samples to display range, then merge all samples to average them. This is why Blender Internal "FSA" does a good job. So you can composite (per sample) the high dynamic range, then it clamps, and then merges the colors values.

For Cycles this trick is not so obvious to add, since it takes 100s of samples per pixel...

-Ton-