[Bf-cycles] Cycles GPU Questions

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Fri Jun 28 15:40:10 CEST 2013

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Eibriel <eibriel at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> Hi! I've a few question about Cycles and GPU
>
> 1) How much space takes the Cycles Kernel on GPU memory? (approximately)

The kernel code itself probably takes less than 1MB, like the cubin
file. There is some other memory overhead also when starting CUDA
renders but not sure how much, I think it was something like 16MB?

If the GPU is also used by the operating system for drawing the UI,
then that will take up a significant amount of memory too, depends on
the operating system, screen resolution, window setup, etc.

> 2) ¿What is the current limitation on number of Texture Maps?

95 at the moment, though Thomas found we can handle more on newer
cards (6xx and up), so probably they will have a limit at about 200 in
the future.

> 3) GPU have another kind of limitation? (Max number of vertexes, objects, etc)

Not really, though we do currently have this bug where we can't use
the NVidia Titan's full memory. That will be solved though.
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=35684&group_id=9&atid=498