[Bf-cycles] help with testing Blender on new hardware

Piotr Arlukowicz piotao at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 12:42:06 CEST 2013

Hello there,

As some of you probably know, the YABC-2013 Conference in Poland was
sponsored by Fujitsu. Now this sponsor is interested in awesome Blender
community (it see the "potential") and it could possibbly offer some hi-end
workstations with additional equipment for testing. They will be located in
some secure place in Poland, however, they will be accessible by the
network, via ssh for example.
The testing and benchmarking Blender I'll do anyway, but I want to ask you
what will be good for devs (if somebody will be interested) for testing. I
hope Fujitsu can lend us some newest graphic cards and we can test Blender
in diffrent configurations, ie. diffrent SLI modes. The equipment I hope to
have for testing is hi-end NVIDIA cards, namely Tesla, K6000, K5000, Titan,
etc. The things I've already saw were promising, the new Quadro K5000 was
able to compete with GTX Titan, but the its price is totally different. I
had too few time for testing during the YABC conference, unfortunately. Now
I will have the second chance.

So I plan to setup some machines using Linux, put the hardware inside,
install CUDA 5 and baseutils dev environ, and test thoroughly SVN Blender.
Maybe some dev will join me :)
I'll need also some benchmark files as well as some hints for setup and
configuration. It would be nice to help the community in this way. Also in
November I'll gain the access to machine with Xeon Phi coprocessor and
testing Blender on it will be also possible.

Of course I'm asking what should I ask Fujitsu and which hardware is worth
to be testing and with what.
The base barebone is R920 workstation, with 2 independent 8-core Xeon CPU,
with 32GB ram or more. Are you guys interested in some specific equipment
and working in this direction at all?

best regards to all
piotr
Polish Blender Course