[Bf-cycles] CPU Threads benchmarks

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Sat Jul 6 21:48:51 CEST 2013

Hi,
some time ago (summer 2012), we changed the amount of threads for CPU
rendering to "number of threads + 1", when using the threads "Auto
Detect" feature, which is default.
This topic has been raised a couple of times since then, especially
users were wondering why they have e.g. 5 tiles on screen, although they
only have 4 CPU cores.

I did some tests today, and it seems there is no real performance gain
by doing "threads + 1". It would be good though to re-confirm this on 8
thread systems too (Core i7, Hyper Threading).

Here my benchmark results:
http://archive.dingto.org/2013/blender/code/Cycles_Thread_Bench.pdf

Best regards,
Thomas