[Bf-cycles] Fwd: Re: What's wrong with this file? | AMD Developer Forums

Nazim Mer nazim.mer at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 17:32:29 CET 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "himanshu.gautam" <developer.forums at amd.com>
Date: Jan 19, 2013 2:36 PM
Subject: Re: What's wrong with this file? | AMD Developer Forums
To: "nazim mer" <nazim.mer at gmail.com>

**
     AMD Developer Forums <http://devgurus.amd.com/index.jspa>
Re: What's wrong with this file?  in *OpenCL*
------------------------------

Underhood,

I tried this on a machine with 4GB of RAM... I followed the repro case
given by Nazim (the one with screenshots).

I was not using any external blend file. Just the default one that Blender
starts with (in line with Nazim's steps for repro)

The application consumed some 800MB of RAM before crashing and there was
still some free memory left.

I am using 12.10 Cat Driver on Windows 7, 64-bit machine.

AMD's engineering team is already aware of this issue and are tracking the
same. FYI.
At the moment, there is no known workaround.

However, if the Blender team is open to optimizing their code for AMD HW,
the engg team may be able to suggest some changes.

For example, the VRay App that suffers from a similar issue got some
massive improvements by moving to native functions.

Hope this helps,

AMD Developer Forums <http://devgurus.amd.com/message/1286469#1286469>*

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions
as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark
replies as Helpful or Correct by:

   1. Go to the message on AMD Developer
Forums<http://devgurus.amd.com/message/1286469#1286469>(you’ll need to
log in).
   2. Click on either the Helpful Answer button or the Correct Answer
   button.
   3. Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same
   question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.