[Bf-cycles] Script node updating from OSL defaults

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Sat Jan 12 01:03:23 CET 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:08 AM, Brecht Van Lommel <
brechtvanlommel at pandora.be> wrote:

> This behavior breaks backwards compatibility though? Imagine if we did
> this for all properties in Blender, change them to the new default
> unless they have been modified. I think it would break many files. I
> don't know how you would deal with that in Houdini, maybe changing
> defaults doesn't happen much once a feature has been implemented?

Yep, that's true. Many pipelines also use some kind of versioning system,
with variations on either updating automatically with the ability to roll
back, or newly added nodes picking up the new version where existing nodes
remain the same. Recent versions of Houdini include this sort of behaviour
built in*. The updating defaults is more for when you're working on an
asset - you usually want it to update in-place so you can see the effect
that your changes are having, without having to confusingly hunt down all
other instances of the node and make sure they're all up to date as well.

cheers

* http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.0/assets/namespaces