[Bf-cycles] Script node updating from OSL defaults

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Fri Jan 11 14:08:43 CET 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Matt Ebb <matt at mke3.net> wrote:
> If it's possible to figure out programmatically what parameters are in their
> default settings and what have been modified, then upon updating a node type
> definition you could leave any modified parameters as-is and update
> parameters that were previously at the default, to the new default. Houdini
> acts like this, and it works pretty well.

This behavior breaks backwards compatibility though? Imagine if we did
this for all properties in Blender, change them to the new default
unless they have been modified. I think it would break many files. I
don't know how you would deal with that in Houdini, maybe changing
defaults doesn't happen much once a feature has been implemented?