[Bf-cycles] Cycles GPU capping?

Ole Jakob Skjelten olesk at pvv.org
Wed Feb 27 20:11:44 CET 2013

I should quickly just chip in two quick points from practical experience that can save people some headache with this:
- the reason you lose displays when changing up GPUs is a mechanism in many BIOSes that simply assumes that when you add a GPU (or more), you will want to start using that GPU as your main for your display. It thus disables built-in GPU and transfers output to (one of) your NVIDIA cards. It will do this every time you make a change in most cases (Windows ignores this, but you'll have a blank screen until it loads). This is by design and not an "error"
- SLI performance is terrible (and should be avoided). If you want to see some fun graphs on exactly *how* terrible, take a look at this: http://www.systemagnostic.com/faqs/my-gtx-590gtx-690-or-sli-setup-isnt-performing-whats-going-on/

OJ

--
Ole Jakob Skjelten
olesk at pvv.org