[Bf-cycles] Cycles GPU render

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Tue Feb 26 12:44:58 CET 2013

If you enable all kernel features, at least 8 GB before it crashes
here. When disabling most features and using an ambient occlusion only
render, it's about 1 GB.

The way I understand it is basically that AMD graphics cards do not
support true function calls, everything must be inlined. This means
the amount of code becomes so big that the compiler runs out of memory
or some sort of GPU limitation is crossed. This means we either have
to wait for AMD to find a solution to that problem and support
non-inlined functions, or that we rewrite our kernel such that it's
split into small pieces which would be quite complicated to do.

Brecht.