[Bf-cycles] Cycles CPU speedup: Perlin noise

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Fri Dec 27 20:58:44 CET 2013

Hi everyone,
today Svyatoslav Lockal send us a great patch which improves Perlin
Noise calculation for Cycles CPU rendering, it's in master now.
https://developer.blender.org/rBa92abf5089e152d8d1b1fd95278b307f56b6a193

Some tests with the BMW scene resulted in a 12-15% render speedup.

But I was curious to see how this behaves in a more production like
environment, so I checked a file from the Open Movie Caminandes.
The scene I used was 11a_comp.blend (New Hope scene) from Caminandes on
an Ivy Bridge Quad Core (3.4 GHZ) on Linux.
I rendered frame 500, with 1280x720 resolution, otherwise it's unmodified.

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=64561

Before: 01:06:22h
New: 53:13min

That is a speedup of about 20% (19.76%), which is a lot. I checked the
node setups and the artists used the Noise Texture almost everywhere. :D

Just wanted to share this, enjoy!

Best regards,
Thomas