[Bf-cycles] Cycles Standalone File Format

Lukas Stockner lukas.stockner at freenet.de
Thu Aug 22 23:16:46 CEST 2013

Hi all,
my suggestion for the Cycles Standalone File Format would be Named Binary Tag (NBT). It is really easy to implement, binary, hierarchical (tree-like), has very little overhead, is gzipped and there are quite a few libraries for it.
It consists of nested, named tags with defined type (integer, float, string, collection of other tags etc.), so you can build any data structure with it.
I've used it myself for some scene file formats and never lacked a feature.
Storage efficiency should be near-perfect with gzip and binary blobs for geometry data etc., and (in my experience) parsing is faster than for .xml.gz