[Bf-cycles] Global SSS Scale Multiplier

Matthew Heimlich matt.heimlich at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 23:11:04 CEST 2013

Since we now have a proper Gaussian falloff for the SSS shader, I've been
playing around with implementing the sum of Gaussians technique for
rendering skin as explained in GPU Gems 3 and this year's SIGGRAPH talk
"OSL The Great and Powerful". It's very fast to set up and is so far giving
nice results. However, it uses 6 layers of SSS data, each with its own
individual scale, some of which are very small numbers. Changing these
scales one by one proves to be tedious when trying to get the scale of the
material to match up with the scale of the object to which it is applied.
I'd like to propose a global SSS multiplier, perhaps in the scene panel,
that would allow us to quickly find the sweet spot for SSS shading,
especially when using multi-layer setups. It would be especially useful for
the SoG method where certain values are measured real-world levels, but
where modeling scale may not be in real world units. Any thoughts on this
matter would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt Heimlich