[Bf-cycles] GSoC - Progressive Animation Rendering and more...

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sun Apr 21 01:47:09 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 10:45 PM, Mark Reynolds <feralferrets at gmail.com> wrote:
>      This is my first year applying to Google Summer of Code, and I am
> really excited about it!  I was looking through the ideas page and really
> like the idea of progressive animation rendering (original post:
> http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-cycles/2011-September/000096.html) but
> was thinking about extending it to also include pause/continue render
> functionality.  Would this be a useful and/or helpful project?

It could be a nice, well defined project yes, and it ties in with
pause/continue render.

For pause/continue you need to add the ability to save the
intermediate state of a render and continue it later, which benefits
progressive animation rendering too (otherwise you'd have to re-render
all the samples in each pass). I guess the intermediate files could
just be OpenEXR files with a bit of metadata. This project would need
most work on the Blender UI / integration side, to support such
workflows.