[Bf-cycles] GSoC - Hair shaders for cycles strand

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sun Apr 21 01:32:15 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 11:50 PM, Girish Ramesh <rgirish28 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I understand the Dual scattering model is only an
> approximation but it would be a good addition to the marschner model as
> marschner only handles single scattering of fibres and not multiple
> scattering within the hair volume. Dual scattering is hard to integrate with
> the system, but does provide better results for blonde and lighter coloured
> hair.

My understanding is that Dual Scattering gives you similar results to
Marschner with full path tracing, just that it's a faster
approximation? It's been a while since I read this paper though.
Anyway, the fact that it's an approximation is no problem, it's a very
good one and in used in production by e.g. Disney. So I'm confident
this would be a great feature to have.

> I am quite experienced with rendering as I have worked on hair models and
> physically based rendering extensively and will be pursuing my phd in the
> area in July.    I could take up some of the ideas presented on the ideas
> page but wanted to tackle hair rendering in particular as it is my research
> area. Do let me know what you think.

Ah, if this is your research area then it's a great fit of course!
Definitely no need to pick another topic then.

Thanks,