[Bf-cycles] Render optimizing using frame coherence

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sat Apr 20 11:02:42 CEST 2013

Hi all,

When reviewing pros and cons and specifications for Cycles Baking, I also discussed with Brecht what other possibilities are for speedup.

An important use case for baking is to speedup rendering. But we can also skip the baking step entirely, and just use the known motion flow for samples or pixels to create some kind of a cache.

Even though such a method would have its limits - similar to like baking or vector blur has now - I think it's a potential superior optimizing technique than bake or vblur.

More over - moving pixels in shots need to get blurred anyway. Recalculating all these samples each frame and then blurring it is quite a waste of cpu/gpu cycles.

Google for:
- rendering using frame coherence
- motion flow
- rendering temporal cache