[Bf-cycles] Possible faster (x2) Viewport Border rendering complex scenes

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Mon Apr 15 18:31:46 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM, David Black <db4tech at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Speed test results:
> Found forgot to save the 'Speed Test' blend file on the Desktop PC with twin
> GTX 580, so just carried out all tests again.

Great!

> Only one area you may want to take a quick look at, not important, purely
> esthetical.  Notice there is a 1 pixel gap above the viewport render status
> bar (not noticeable when it was semi-transparent), not sure if this is
> deliberate?

The 1 pixel gap is not intentional, should be fixed now. But for
border render the top status bar is indeed no longer transparent,
reason is that we'd need to redraw what's below it, which means doing
the OpenGL object draw.

> Now the status bar is opaque due to optimized OpenGL draw routines, would a
> slightly lighter shade of grey help blend with the rest of the interface,
> guess a darker shade was chosen due to its previous semi-transparency
> nature.  Alternatively, if use the region overlap T and N panels draw
> routine, I notice when they are visible it has a small impact on new border
> render performance, about 1 second slower.  Personally, speed is preferable
> to appearance and do not mind an opaque bar.

It seems the region overlap feature is not very efficient, I don't see
a simple way to fix that though, would require some deeper changes to
the window drawing system so I'll leave this for now.