[Bf-cycles] Nvidia Titan Cycles Performance?

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sat Apr 13 16:22:19 CEST 2013

Hi,

We've opened up all info about our open movies. Google for, check the blogs :)

For ToS we used cpu render farm only though. Especially for larger scenes, the benefit of using a Tesla (or GTX 580) degraded to less than a factor 2 faster than i7. That made the extra work of keeping render memory max 3 GB not worth it.

We only had 2 teslas and 4 gtx 580ies btw. Farm was 24 i7 + 4 dual-xeon.

Both gpu and cpu specs keep climbing, but my impression is that we'd better focus now on gpu for interaction and tools, and cpu for clusters.

-Ton-