[Bf-cycles] GSoC - Spectral Rendering

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Wed Apr 10 00:55:12 CEST 2013

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 12:08 AM, David <erwin94 at gmx.net> wrote:
> this is by far the best visual explanation of what separates spectral
> rendering from normal RGB rendering that I have seen:
>
> http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Textures_Spectrum#Gaussian_spectrum
>
> All lamps in this image would be the same RGB color, and produce the
> same result with non-spectral rendering.

I don't think that's true? The exact result depends on the wavelength
to RGB conversion function, but a wider gaussian distribution across
the wavelength should give different RGB values than a narrow one? As
the distribution gets wider there will a more even distribution across
the RGB channels.

It wouldn't be as accurate but the lights would still render different I think?

Brecht.