[Bf-cycles] Status Update on OSL

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Sun Sep 2 00:48:04 CEST 2012

Sorry, sent the previous mail too early.

* I fixed the remaining OSL API issues in Cycles (changes in osl_shader,
and osl_services). Changes in osl_services still need some more testing
before I will commit them. (OSLRenderServices missed some functions from
newer OSL versions which had to be implemented).

* I am working on compiling fresh OSL 1.2 libs (they released the new
stable tag just 2 days ago), have a linker issue there, already asked
for help on the osl-dev mailing list.

When OSL / Cycles will finally compile, I guess there will be a few bugs
still, so probably it won't render fine in the beginning.
It's also not on par with the svm shader backend, some features need to
be written in OSL still.

If you want to give it a try or help, I started to write some docs for
Cycles / OSL compilation.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:DingTo/OpenShadingLanguage

Regards,
Thomas