[Bf-cycles] 2.66 plans

Aurel W. aurel.w at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 15:42:21 CET 2012

I think when it comes to volume rendering, it can only be done usefully if
you provide several different integrators. Having a slow, unbiased and
straight forward volume path tracer is fine, MLT and bidirectional
optimizations too. But artists would also need simpler more efficient ways
to render common effects, like a standard volume ray caster, similar to the
one in BI (+ radiance caching, adaptive ray sampling, optimizations for
homogeneous media,... ). Imho for cycles someone should focus on providing
a good base and infrastructure to integrate several rendering techniques.