[Bf-cycles] 2.66 plans

storm kartochka22 at yandex.ru
Thu Nov 29 06:32:11 CET 2012

Hi Brecht!

About Volume patch, I know that you already know that formulas, I am
write here more for other lurkers/developers. Volumetric patch is
actually 3 lines of code

free_fly_distance = - log(1-random)/sigma
pdf of this sampling = sigma*exp(-distance*sigma)
attenuation_eval = exp(-distance*sigma)

where "sigma" is critical section.

Obviously, it is brute force, accurate, can render any possible variable
density, variable particle colors, but very slow to be usable on average
Blender user box , especially in case number of bounces > 0.

There is special case, but most interesting for Blender users, as human
tissue shading, where we can assume homogeneous density, constant color,
and strong anisotropic phase function. My patch is very bad at that
case, as it need insane number of bounces to converge flux in main
direction (where anisotropic lobe is maximum). And my tests show, that
number must be really big, like hundreds, and we exceed CPU register
precision after ~50, making it unrealistic not only from computational
time, but result as is.

There is another approach, more common, that use separate absorption
sigma and transition sigma, and used by almost all other renderers. My
idea was to solve integral to automatically calculate transition sigma
based on known HG asymmetric factor "g", and use it. But i cannot solve
that and postpone to better time.

About other tings, if you ask me, MB+dynamic memory(and obviously,
dynamic on-fly trickery, like on demand subdiv) is most useful and need
more manpower. Bidirectional, volumetrics, even SSS is a toy, real
things is robust rendering of any possible mesh, and memory limit will
hit again and again.

I had plan to play with BVH algorithms, there are plenty of papers with
cool origin ideas, but to make it fun it must be run in GPU, and you
know what i want to say. It is not worth to optimize manually selecting
CPU/GPU instructions to beat all that "commercial renderers", if
foundation of algorithms is not mature and can be changed frequently. I
think that coarse caching can be done with Monte carlo, one idea is MCMC
(Metroplis or ERP), as they tend to dance near previous sample, other is
even easier, ordered lower bits of random generator will make sampling
more cache friendly, not guaranteed, but cache misses can be lowered a
lot, at least for 1 bounce. Need to model it to proof, of course.

The problem is, code of dynamic BVH will become very complex, lot of
text, many workaround/heuristics. I played with simple BVH builder, and
even that whell known structure have lot of subtle things. Same time, we
really need general memory/resources model, that can spread dynamically
between nodes/devices, network transparent, and almost real time. 3-4
years, and Clouds will be everywhere, and cheap as water, need to be
ready.