[Bf-cycles] Status Open Shading Language

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Tue Jun 5 00:09:55 CEST 2012

Hi,
I spent nearly the whole day on OSL and made some progress! :)

1) Compile OSL lib
I managed to compile OSL libs (Trunk) on Ubuntu Linux x64 (12.04).

Some notes to that:
-OSL needs flex and bison, which is not said in their INSTALL file.
Installed them from the Ubuntu repository.
- I had to recompile Boost 1.49 and OIIO (Trunk) with cxxflag -fPIC,
otherwise OSL won't build.
- I had to disable acum_test, testshade and shaders in OSL (cmake)
because I got linker errors with those. Those things are unit tests,
test apps and example shaders.
Needs to be investigated, but not urgently needed for Blender, those
things are optional.

As a result I got OSL libs (bin, include, lib folder are needed).

2) Cycles and OSL
I did some fixes and commited to SVN to get OSL building, but it's still
a long road I am afraid.

If you want to give it a try or even better want to help:
-Enable WITH_CYCLES_OSL in cmake.
-Set "CYCLES_OSL" path to point to the libs. (

Fixes where I am unsure: I changed isfinite to std::isfinite in
kernel_accumulate.h, otherwise it complains when compiling for OSL. Is
that fix correct?

3) Current status:
-First thing is to get the kernel to compile, there are a few errors in
osl/nodes but they can be handled later.
-We have to remove the dependency of "oslexec_pvt.h" in osl_shaders.cpp,
that should not be needed anymore, see OSL 0.6.0 where it says:
"* ShadeExec API overhaul -- an app using it no longer needs
ShadingSystemImpl internal knowledge."

That's where I am at the moment, any feedback and help would be great.

Best regards,
Thomas

--
Thomas Dinges