[Bf-cycles] Recent builds crashing - Cycles CUDA rendering

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Tue Jan 10 07:04:52 CET 2012

Hi,
Am 10.01.2012 00:40, schrieb David Black:
> Phenomenal work Brecht, congratulations!
>
> Will test as soon as able too.  Currently 11 hours into a 20+ hour
> room-set render, will have to wait until that finishes.  Although I am
> not sure a GTX460 and 9600GT are a good rendering combination.  I am
> sure all people with multiple powerful GPU's, /(GTX590 users)/ will be
> extremely excited. :)
>
> If it is helpful, as a quick test, both my GPU's show correctly in the
> user preferences.
>
> Just noticed, some people are reporting slower rendering using the
> latest builds, could this be connected with the recent implementation
> of Floyd-Steinberg dithering, as apposed to the previous pixel
> scattering algorithm?
I think it has to do with the different cards. The Image gets split up
into two atm with 2 cards, so if you have 1 slow and 1 fast cards, it
will be slow down the render.
As you can see in the commit log, load balancing needs to be improved still.

Anyway, ideally you should have 2x the same card for multi GPU
rendering, or at least cards that are from the same generation :)

--
Thomas Dinges
Blender Developer, Artist and Musician

www.dingto.org