[Bf-cycles] Strange behaviour with pictures

Antony Riakiotakis kalast at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 16:50:49 CEST 2012

The difference with images in cycles is that the renderer uses its own
libraries to load the files (openimageio). So, in fact while we do have a
copy of the image in blender, cycles does not have access to that.
Packed images are not supported in cycles yet because of that (openimageio
instead of 'blender' images being used, and packed images are 'blender'
images) and this is the only way to "include" an image in the blend file.

 I am not certain if it's possible to detect filename changes through a
system event but currently this is not how it works.

So I would personally put down the issue as todo/annoying rather than a bug.