[Bf-cycles] Switch to CUDA Toolkit 4.2

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Sun Apr 29 18:29:46 CEST 2012

Hi everyone,
I did some extensive testing today with the new (stable release 4.2.9)
CUDA Toolkit with Blender 2.63 (45996) and current Trunk.

The results are fine (at least on my GT540 card), could not test other
cards yet.
Render time was the same, or in some cases a few seconds better.

However I experienced 1 serious issue with the Mike Pan BMW Test scene.
2.63 compiled with Toolkit 4.2 did not want to render, it frooze at the
"Packing BVH Triangles". I was unable to kill the Blender process, I had
to force shut down my computer. This happened 2 times (I did not want to
test it further).
I think that this might be a bug in Cycles, because the same scene works
fine in current Trunk (with the improved BVH code).

So I would suggest to stick with Toolkit 4.0 for a possible Blender
2.63a, but switch to Toolkit 4.2 in SVN and for 2.64. I could not find
an issue with it and current Trunk.

Best regards,
Thomas

--