[Bf-cycles] CUDA and OpenCL procedure for 2.63

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Thu Apr 5 12:04:05 CEST 2012

Hi Brecht,
for the upcoming 2.63 release I propose the following actions:

CUDA:
The toolkit 4.2 is still in RC phase. Although I don't have any issues
or slowdown here (Geforce 540), I'd stick to 4.0 toolkit for now.

So I propose to build the sm_13, sm_20 and sm_21 kernels with toolkit 4.0
and the sm_30 with the toolkit 4.2 for the Kepler gpus.

I am not sure if the kernels are different for Linux or Windows, if they
aren't I can build the Kepler kernels, upload, so release builders can
manually copy the sm_30 kernel into addons/cycles/lib.
Otherwise I will create the sm_30 kernels for windows only and upload
for jesterKing.

OpenCL:
As it has been confirmed by several people in the forums, I think it's
ok to enable _KERNEL_SHADING_ for OpenCL on AMD cards.
There are some reports about not working textures, so we could enable it
without textures support for now.

But I think it's good to have this tested by a wider audience, rather
than asking people to modify on their own builds.
Should be pretty save, OpenCL is marked as Experimental feature in
Cycles anyways.

Best regards,
Thomas

--