[Bf-cycles] Please Give Us Back Volume&Surface Combos

Kel M kelvinshrek at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 21:22:34 CEST 2011

Hi Brecht,
I just noticed this commit go in today:

"Cycles: replace surface/volume sockets in output nodes with a single shader
socket,

decided it's better to render objects as either surface or volume.

This may break the volume rendering patch, but shaders with volume
closures still
get tagged as having volume closures, so it should be fixable without too many
changes."

"
The ability to render an object with both a surface and a volume shader was
a selling point of Cycles. It's how swimming pools must be rendered. I'm
asking you to please revert this commit, I was able to make a bunch of
beautiful ice sculptures with the volume patch because Cycles allowed both
Surface and Volume on the same object.