[Bf-cycles] question about cycles crash.

Jordan Miller jrdnmlr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 00:53:32 CET 2011

So... I have a 3D model setup 5400x3600 pixels. It's a big one. I want to render it for a long time with Cycles and print out on a poster, which is why there are so many pixels. If I set the render to 10%, 50%, 80% frame size, everything works fine. If I set it to 100% it fails to render. Blender doesn't crash, but the Cycles render crashes during the BVH build.

This was using Nvidia GeForce 560 Ti, which has 1 GB RAM. So I thought maybe it ran out of RAM. So I switched to CPU render to see if that was the problem.

The computer has 8 GB RAM. Same result. Everything 80% frame size or smaller renders fine. 100% fails to render.

So it's not filling up the RAM in the GeForce that is the problem. This is on Windows 7 with a 64bit build from Graphicall.org.

Any ideas?

I just can't fathom why it would be able to render at 80% frame size but not at 100% given that there is 8 GB of RAM.

Any thoughts?

I guess I will try again on Wednesday with the 2.61RC builds that just came out unless you can think of something else I could try.

Let me know.

ok thanks!

jordan