[Bf-cycles] cycles, some questions about GPU

Jordan Miller jrdnmlr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 04:59:45 CET 2011

this is amazing timing. I've just tested a very complex model
rendering on my friends computer. he says the latest GTX 560 Ti is the
best bang for the buck, which he has installed already with windows 7.
tonight we tested it. here are the results:

MacBook pro core 2 duo 2.4 GHz CPU render: 45 sec/sample
intel core i7 quad core 3.40 GHz CPU render: 15 sec/sample

same win7 computer running cycles on GPU GTX 560 Ti: 4.5 sec/sample

this thing screams and is only $260 right now. fully 10x faster than
my laptop. you can easily load multiple of these into your computer.
any of the higher end cards will not be worth the cost increase.

also Nvidia is undergoing a product revamp so I would get a couple of
these 560 Ti's to be ready for multi GPU in Cycles in the coming
months (still less expensive than a 590) and then be ready to replace
the whole thing in another 6-12 months for another $500 when the newer
models have come out and things have settled down.

amazing!!

here is the card I just picked up after today's testing and at my
friend's suggestion:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500196

jordan