[Bf-cycles] C++ API and the GPL

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 20:20:09 CET 2011

Actually one way to do it is to construct a BSD licensed standalone
implementation of the API and then compile Octane against the
standalone API.  As long as the standalone and Blender internal API
are binary compatible it should work without there aren't likely any
legal issues.

Also it isn't even clear that the interpretation of the GPL that says
no linking of proprietary software has any force here.  The GPL
restricts those who redistribute Blender, and likely can't be used to
enforce restrictions on 3rd parties usage of an API.

LetterRip