[Bf-cycles] Rendering with Static BVH Only

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sat Nov 5 00:11:45 CET 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 9:47 PM, David Black <db4tech at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Brecht,
> Now you have switched to Static BVH for full renders, why do some of
> surfaces in a scene I am working on for my BA (Hons) render as black, while
> they render fine with Dynamic BVH?
> Have checked surface normals and they are facing out.
> Tried attaching a couple of small file screen captures (around 200 KB) each
> but they were still to large for the mailing list.

This seems like a bug. There's still some precision issue to solve in
raytracing, though usually that is with dynamic BVH, static should be
more precise... If you have any simplified .blend files that you can
post on pasteall.org (removing everything but the mesh that causes
problems, with just a diffuse materials or so), I can try to debug
issues.

> Thinking ahead... Will you be adding a method for clay renders?
> Using the unfinished OpenCL for clay renders has been very useful for degree
> work, without having to edit all objects materials.  If you will be adding a
> Clay option, will it use current scene lights, or just environment lighting,
> like the idea current scene lighting.

I think render layers should make this possible. Using that system
it's possible to choose a material that is assigned to all meshes.
With layers or light groups it should be possible to control which
lights contribute.