[Bf-cycles] Feature Requests for resume Rendering

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Mon Dec 19 16:09:27 CET 2011

Hi everyone,
I want to suggest two features which would help a lot I think!

1) Ability to resume a rendering, even after Blender has been closed.
The idea is that Blender saves all necessary data to be able to resume a
render.
This could be done via a file like Luxrender has (.flm)

This would improve the workflow a lot in my opinion.
Brecht, I don't know your plans about speeding up the render engine,
especially not the time frame for optimizations. So especially now, when
some scenes have a very long render time, this would help a lot.
I can't let my computer (especially my laptop) render for a few hours,
but often the image needs more time to clear up.
So with a resume render feature, we could render very clear images, and
if we ever feel like adding more samples, we could just load the blend
file and the *.flm* or whatever to resume a render.

2) Save images in a specified interval
Rendering on the GPU still causes some crashers from time to time in
complex scenes.
So it would be great to have an option, that Blender automatically saves
the render as .png or whatever, every 100 samples (can be a setting too).
What do you think?

I am sure I am not the only one, especially the first request would be
really a great addition.

Best regards,
Thomas

--