[Bf-cycles] osx + ati + cycles, looking for insights in debugging

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 07:11:11 CET 2011

"Good news", I believe both problems may indeed be related and of
alignment. At least the first one.

If I change the alignment in kernel_type.h in simple ways [*] I get the Z
problem fixed, but the viewport broken in situations it was working before.
If I go to camera fly mode the viewport is fine ('dirty' but fine) until I
stop then I get the (2) problem. So what are the rules for alignment here?

[*] http://www.pasteall.org/27124

Regarding (1) camera behaves as if Z = 0:
> Here's also a small test, I'm not totally confident the differentials are
aligned well in the struct, you could test this patch to see if that's
somehow related, but it's only a random guess:
> http://www.pasteall.org/27115/diff
It doesn't do much. but see above.

> The way I would debug this is try to find exactly the point where things
are different between the CPU and GPU, which value or operation is
different between the two.
I was trying to do a different approach: I was trying to take out/by pass
whatever I could (e.g. use identity matrixes, raster_x=raster_y=0.0f ...)
that would still produce a different result between cpu/gpu. I think I need
a better understanding of the rendering pipeline in cycle to look at that
further. You gotta agree that this is a quite peculiar bug.

Regarding (2) viewport problem:
Does F12 rendering work (with resolutions that fail in the viewport) or is
it just viewport rendering? ...
> http://www.pasteall.org/27116/diff
The dumped image is as bad as the viewport one. A note: the image is not
'broken' right away. While the light calculation is still dirty, the image
is correct. Only after a few (set_tile() resolution > 8 or so) moments the
viewport breaks.

> Another thing you could test is the workgroup_size in device_opencl.cpp
in path_trace and tonemap.
workgroup_size is calculated as 16. If I change it to 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 it
produces the same result.
If I change it to 32 OpenCL throw an error on me (OpenCL error (-54):
Invalid work group size)

Thanks,
Dalai