[Bf-cycles] [Cycles]Why BVH instead of KdTree ?

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Mon Aug 22 13:44:58 CEST 2011

Hi,

Mainly the reason is that BVH's work better for a number of
algorithms, like QBVH and MBVH for taking advantage of SSE, refitting
for fast updates on editing, there exist some very quick BVH building
algorithms, and it seems also to fit better with out of core
rendering. We don't support all of those things yet, but I think they
will be easier to add with a BVH.

Brecht.