[Bf-compositor] [enh] How to deal with thumbnail previews

Sebastian König sebastiankoenig at posteo.de
Tue Nov 19 08:16:15 CET 2013

Hey!

Yes, I think it would be fine to make thumbnails just be hidden by default.
However, it’s also true they do provide some very helpful feedback when it comes to input nodes.

Even though it would make the default „hidden preview“ a bit inconsistent, i do believe this would be the most desirable behavior:
- Input nodes are always created with their previews enabled.
- Every other node has the preview disabled, except for the viewer node.
- Since the composite output makes the whole node-tree calculate all the time when it has thumbnail expanded I think it should also be collapsed by default. (also in startup.blend)

So, speaking as a non developer I think you only would have to exclude the input nodes from the button that controls the default behavior for new nodes, though in reality I suppose there’d have to be some if/else stuff. :)

Sebastian

--
Sebastian König
Schenkendorfstrasse 45
sebastiankoenig at posteo.de
www.3dzentrale.com

I'd like to add my 2 cents here. Regarding the thumbnails, I think hidden by default is a bit better than removing them altogether. I agree with David that thumbs can be helpful when you just need a quick at-a-glance view of what is going on in a set of nodes.

Also, Blender did auto-link new nodes to your selected node at one time, but iirc the feature was removed because people often found its choices for linking  confusing/unpredictable. For example, if you added a mix node, you might end up with the auto-link connected to the wrong input of the mix node.
Personally, I liked the feature (even though it wasn't perfect), so I wouldn't mind seeing it make a comeback.