[Bf-compositor] Masking Curves

xglasyliax . xgl.asyliax at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 17:52:59 CET 2013

Hello,

I read in the Wiki Page that Sergey and Christopher Barrett had begun work
on making general beziers available to be used for masking in addition to
S-Curves.

If this helps at all, and I'm not saying it will, but..

When I did the code which exists in intern/raskter for a generic mask
rasterizer, I built it thinking beziers were the type of curve.

Just by reading the Wiki I could not tell whether or not the "outer" curve
in the mask (at the alpha=0.0 curve) would be free to be shaped in any way,
or still only glide along normals to the inner curve.

The image based method I wrote into raskter handles this properly if the
2nd curve can be any shape, like this:

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/62234

and would product something like this:

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/62235
(note that the color is not in the corrected space so it looks a little
funny in this image...)

Obviously for S-Curves this image based method was not needed as no part of
the outer curve would occlude the inner curve from another part of the
outer curves point of view.

Doing it in an image based method makes it much slower than the triangle
rasterizer version used for S-Curves now.

If work was put into making it multi-threaded I'm sure the image based
method could be made much faster than it currently is.

If having free outer curve is in consideration and anyone would like to
explore image based gradient filling I'm happy to help. I had a few ideas
on how to make it faster and also tile-able but with time crunch for Tears
of Steel it was better to let the needed much faster triangle code settle
without trying to hack to much in the compo at that time.

I just happens that I spoke with Sebastian yesterday and was saying I'd
like to get back in and help code for Blender some more. As it turned out
the Wiki mentioned this the very next day. I certainly wouldn't be offended
if help is not needed in this area, but if I could be of any assistance,
feel free to let me know.

Cheers!
Peter